Site Navigation


Time Management Tips For Beginners #10: Form A Habit

time management for beginners

We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.

Today is the final video in the Time Management Tips For Beginners series.  I truly hope you have enjoyed the series and I hope you actually implement the tips I have shared with you about time management.  It’s great to learn but it’s useless until you actually take action with that knowledge.

I went live on Facebook today about taking action and implementing the information I have shared over the last 9 videos and blogs.  Taking action today and sticking with it will create a healthy habit that will have you more organized, less stressed and more productive in your day.  Watch the video first here:

Time Management Tips For Beginners #10 Make A Habit [Video]:

Plan Out Your Week

time management tips for beginners

You should plan out your entire week on every Sunday night.  I schedule 30 minutes to go over all the appointments, activities, meetings and meals for the week.  I then add all of these activities to my schedule. If you are a paper person use a planner.  Here is the planner that most people I know use and love. It is called the Action Day Layout.  It is a journal, calendar, to do list and goal setting planner all in one.  If you are a digital person you can use I-cal or Google calendar.

time managment tips for beginners

Break Up Your Year

Instead of breaking up your year into 12 months we are going to use 12 weeks.  Yes from now on 12 weeks will equal a year.  I started using this strategy after I read the book, “The 12 Week Year” by Brian Moran.  It took productivity to a whole new level for me.  Most people set goals yearly.  Like a New Years Resolution.  However, the goal is so far off that many people quit a month or two in.

Why?  Because there is no short-term assessment or accountability.  Too many things come up during that 364 days that can change your goal.  So instead you focus on reaching goals in a 12 week period.  You can set benchmarks for your long-term goals.  For instance, you want to lose 30 lbs. this year.  So you can break that long-term goal into bite-size chunks with the 12 week year.  Your new goal is to lose 10 lbs in 12 weeks.  Much easier to stomach and more realistic right?

Evaluate Your Week

After every 12 week year you assess your goals and re-evaluate them.  Even add new ones in.  You will also be assessing your progress weekly.  After you plan out your week on Sunday you should evaluate how you did the previous week.   I use the 80/20 rule for success when I am rating my week.  If I was able to complete 80% of what I wanted to I am succeeding.

Remember, we are not perfect.  There will be interruptions and emergencies. Our schedule can be thrown off track at times, but completing 80% and moving the other 20% into your next week is still moving you forward.  I bet you are more intentionally productive than you were the week before.  Progress not perfection.

I hope you have enjoyed the Time Management Tips For Beginners series.  If you have any questions please leave them in the comments below.  This series is over for now but you will definitely be seeing more information on time management in the future so subscribe and be on the look out!

A new series is starting tomorrow on healthy meal prep.  What questions do you want answered in this series?  Drop them in the comments below.


No Comments yet, your thoughts are welcome!