The Truth About Your Unicorn Frappuccino
The hype of Starbuck’s limited time Unicorn Frappuccino is amazing. The marketing team has done some great work and their fans are spreading the word faster than you can get your hands on them.
If you have tried this new drink you would taste the sour deliciousness. I was happy to give it a try, but stick to a short (8 fl. oz.) if you haven’t given in to the hype yet.
So what exactly is in the Unicorn Frappuccino anyways?
According to what I’ve read in this article, the new Unicorn Frappuccino is made up of seven main ingredients. Eight if you count the whipped cream. Here is what I have found:
Unicorn Frappuccino Ingredients:
3. Creme Frappuccino Syrup. This ingredient is mainly sugar, preservatives, thickening agents and artificial sweeteners.
4. Mango Syrup. This sweetener is made mostly of sugar, passion fruit and mango juice concentrate, preservatives, thickening agents.
5. Blue Drizzle. The magical blue swirl is a mix of three components: White Chocolate Mocha Sauce, Classic Syrup and Sour Blue Powder. The White Chocolate Mocha Sauce contains sugar, condensed milk, cocoa butter and coconut oil. Classic Syrup is mainly sugar and water. The Sour Blue Powder contains sugar, artificial sweeteners and Spirulina.
6. Pink Powder. The coloring ingredient contains dextrose, which is a sweetener found in corn syrup, as well as fruit and vegetable color.
7. Sour Blue Powder. Contains sugar, artificial sweeteners, preservatives and Spirulina.
8. Whipped Cream. Made of cream and Vanilla Syrup. The cream contains thickening agents and preservatives. The Vanilla Syrup is mostly sugar and water.
Yup basically you are drinking pure sugar!
Being a health coach it makes sense that I talk about the sugar, calories and fat content that is in one of these babies.
One Grande Unicorn Frappuccino holds about double of the recommended daily added sugar limit for both men and women, according to the American Heart Association.
Not to mention, ordering a Grande will set you back 410 calories, 140 of those calories are from fat. The standard 16 oz. size, known at Starbucks locations as a Grande, contains 59g of sugar if ordered with whipped cream.
So enjoy the unicorn frappuccino while it’s here, but grab the smallest size and be sure to eat healthy in the mean time.